Not Another Hdd Faliure!!

Site News And Announcements
KiNG

some of you will have been with us long enough to remember the big hdd faliure we had a good few years back were we lost alot of our older releases, we did manage to recover alot but some we could not. recently we/i had a simmilar issue this time with my tools/backup drive, i will atempting a recovery sometime today, fingers crossed as everything on that drive i do not have copys of, custom made tools and the upgraded installer are just a couple of the things what could be lost, just wanted to let you guys know as many of you have probably noticed there has been a gap in releases over the past week or so. we hope to be back on track shortly.
Easy Links For Navigating Around The Site
KaOs Releases | Repack Issues | Broken Links | Youtube | Discord | Helpful Files
(Always use the forum instead of PMing us)
tatayoyo

Good luck with that KiNG!

Hope it goes well!
I want to get high... so high...
TheMaster

Yeah fingers crossed for you brother! ;)

I've also got a portable 2TB drive that spazzed out a few months back with a big movie collection on it. Windows wouldn't even acknowledge it was there but I got a retrieval tool to recognize it so there's hope. All I need now is a new drive at least that big to attempt to copy stuff across onto... hence it's been a few months... :cry: Think I'm done with portables, especially Seagates; gonna get some big decent internals for storage again. My old WD drives haven't missed a beat so might have to bite the bullet, scrimp & save up & get a couple of new WD Blacks (although Blues are cheaper, use the same processing & caching architecture & probably just as reliable for general storage).
"Anger is an energy!"
- John Lydon
------------------------------------------------------------
Game Issues Forum is kindly provided HERE
Game Issues & Broken Link requests posted in the wrong place will be deleted!
tatayoyo

ooh yeah! western digital is way more reliable than seagate.
not basing this on any factual proof but on my personal experience and 4 seagate disks have failed me over time including some with weird problem like an intermittent noise that can be reduced with a firmware update or a curious functionality that put to sleep the disk even if you did not set anything like that.
it's been 7 years with only WD disks and none has crashed...
KiNG

TheMaster wrote:Yeah fingers crossed for you brother! ;)

I've also got a portable 2TB drive that spazzed out a few months back with a big movie collection on it. Windows wouldn't even acknowledge it was there but I got a retrieval tool to recognize it so there's hope. All I need now is a new drive at least that big to attempt to copy stuff across onto... hence it's been a few months... :cry: Think I'm done with portables, especially Seagates; gonna get some big decent internals for storage again. My old WD drives haven't missed a beat so might have to bite the bullet, scrimp & save up & get a couple of new WD Blacks (although Blues are cheaper, use the same processing & caching architecture & probably just as reliable for general storage).
i have tried a couple with no joy as it nolonger shows in bios or windows, recormendations?
KaOs Releases | Repack Issues | Broken Links | Youtube | Discord | Helpful Files
tatayoyo

If you're up for it, you can try these solutions depending on the problem the disk has :

http://lifehacker.com/5982339/diy-data- ... s-belly-up
KiNG

no luck with it this time. guess i best start digging around and try my best to replace or redo stuff :(
TheMaster

KiNG wrote:i have tried a couple with no joy as it nolonger shows in bios or windows, recormendations?
Sorry KiNG, I didn't check back for replies so only just saw this. The software that recognized my drive was "Runtime GetDataBack for NTFS". I've used others successfully in the past but this seems to be the only one I had installed/archived. I've yet to attempt to retrieve stuff though.
"Anger is an energy!"
- John Lydon
tatayoyo

yeah getdataback is pretty good but only works if the disk appears in bios

edit : you tried the fridge thing? I've heard many people over the years saying it worked for them.
Last edited by tatayoyo on 17 Jun 2017, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
KiNG

tatayoyo wrote:yeah getdataback is pretty good but only works if the disk appears in bios

edit : you tried the fridge thing? I've heard many people over the years saying it worked for them.
fridge? i give anyth8ng a try its broken anyway lol.
TheMaster

Good discussion here, may be of some assistance. Make sure to read through to the last comment on page 2 ;)

http://www.techrepublic.com/forums/disc ... d-by-bios/
"Anger is an energy!"
- John Lydon
TheMaster

Last edited by TheMaster on 17 Jun 2017, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
"Anger is an energy!"
- John Lydon
tatayoyo

KiNG wrote:
tatayoyo wrote:yeah getdataback is pretty good but only works if the disk appears in bios

fridge? i give anyth8ng a try its broken anyway lol.
yeah apparently when it's really hopeless, you can try to put it in the fridge (in a good isolated bag obviously to avoid humidity etc...) and then after several hours, you get it out from the fridge and directly into the computer and try to transfer as much data as possible before it breaks completely.
CoCoKos

Damn that sucks, doesn't sound promising but still wish you luck.

HDD crashes hit me hard as I'm quite the hoarder, I reconvert my videos and repack games to add patches/guides etc. So loosing a drive means I can't simply redownload the content and even if I could it's just to much. Also lost old projects before so can sympathise with that too. Actually on the table infront of my right now is a 2TB WD20EARS drive that bit the bullet (again) this Saturday. Thankfully since its previous crash years ago it's just been a downloading drive so it's not to serious and may still be able to get stuff back, though "temp" drive or not I'd loose lots of stuff if I can't, it had 300GB free space so there's lots on there.

If the drive isn't being detected in the BIOS it really sucks, used to be able to swop out the little circuitboard with another from an identical model but these days they add encryption and crap seemingly deliberately to stop things being easy for home repairs etc. That may still be a possibility for you if you can easily get another identical drive on the cheap to try out. May also be worth holding the drive firmly in your hand and spinning it around, so the drive spins around the platter inside, if it makes a grinding noise you have a new coaster.

As for software, for when a drive can be detected, I'd suggest Active Recovery (either File Recovery, or Partition Recovery depending on the problem). Try whatever you can to recover as much as you can before making any changes to the drive / writing to it in any way, do not even do a "chkdsk" checkdisk if you suspect the drive may be dying as I've had this wreck a drive (found a file that couldn't be copied so did a chkdsk which made the whole damned thing "RAW" and became a nightmare).

I've had many drives fail over many years. It's not about Seagate verses Western Digital were one is always better as conflicting personal anecdotes prove, both make mistakes. The best you can do is try avoiding their mistakes as it's usually confined to certain models that have a flaw, silly or cheap design. They all have their Deathstar to varying degrees. As someone who's used many of each I can tell you both tails of failure and resilience for both brands. Also worked on the PC hardware sales side seeing many failures and things change as time goes on.
KiNG

yep it happened again, figured this time as most of the site links were broken and torrents dead we would simply start from scratch and keep on top of everything this time.
KiNG

cheers dude, but i posted the failure a bit late and the drive has already gone. i will grab the app though so hopefully it will help when it happens again.
booster

KiNG wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 18:27 cheers dude, but i posted the failure a bit late and the drive has already gone. i will grab the app though so hopefully it will help when it happens again.
yo king , can you please describe your problem for me ? this topic is old but i hope i can help to fix it , right now i am uploading EASEUS 14.5 all edition for you , latest updated version might be better . link : http://www.mediafire.com/file/ihanjtk8n ... s.zip/file
Last edited by booster on 21 Oct 2020, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
I was dead from the begin ; But they'll bury me in the future .
KiNG

i appreciate it dude but as i said the drive is gone "binned"
booster

KiNG wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 07:42 i appreciate it dude but as i said the drive is gone "binned"
whoops! these problems are rare to happen but if you keep drive in a short period they willl never fail . this site might help you to check hard drive test resoults :D "https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html"
I was dead from the begin ; But they'll bury me in the future .